Chocolate Cherry Milkshake Vegan Recipe
This plant based chocolate cherry milkshake is so delicious! It’s creamy, chocolatey, rich, and satisfying. There is something so satisfying and comforting about the combination of cherry and chocolate. Perhaps it comes from the love of chocolate cherry cordials. You know those little chocolate balls that are filled with some kind of red syrup? Yes, those candies that I am pretty sure are definitely not anything close to fruit. Well this milkshake is nothing like those. It is made using whole foods and is plant based! Its super simple and easy to make, but nutrient dense to get your morning starting right!
Freezing Bannas for Chocolate Cherry Milkshake
To make this recipe you will need frozen chopped bananas. We absolutely love to make smoothies.
Since smoothies are a staple in this household, we usually buy bananas in bulk. We have a produce terminal we like to shop at. They usually have bananas that are ripe now but can’t sell to restaurants, and so we get them for as low as $5 a case! If you haven’t seen a case of bananas before, here is an idea of what that looks like:
Wow! Would you look at all of that food for $5! Since the bananas are ripe, we cut them into small pieces and freeze them in airtight containers. They will stay good in the freezer for about a month and you will have frozen bananas on hand for smoothies whenever needed!
Next, Let’s talk about the dates. Dates are super sweet and also packed with fiber and nutrients. You can buy the dates pitted, or you can buy then whole and pit them yourselves. To pit the dates, simply squeeze the date between your thumb and finger. This will expose the pit and allow for simple and easy removal!
Blend Up the Chocolate Cherry Milkshake!
Lastly, add the bananas, cherries, cacao powder, hemp hearts and pitted dates into blender. Add the soymilk last. Blend until smooth! Feel free to substitute any type of plant based milk you have at home. We like soy because we found it gave us the creamiest texture in the shake. The soy milk also gives the recipe extra protein! If you are eating a plant based diet like us, you know people are always asking that age old question….. Where do you get your protein? Comment below to let us know your favorite plant-based protein!
Pro Tip: Use a peeler and a bar of dairy-free dark chocolate to shave nice little chocolate curls on the top of your shake. Note: this will add some calories to your plant based chocolate cherry milkshake; however, we think it is totally worth it!
Vegan Chocolate Cherry Milkshake Recipe
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Serving glass
- 1 Cup Frozen Banana
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Cherries
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Vanilla Soy Milk
- 2 Tbsp Cacao Powder
- 2 Tbsp Hemp Hearts optional
- 2 Pitted Dates
- Start by cutting bananas and place them in the freezer. We usually like to buy bananas in bulk, and freeze them overnight. For best results freeze the bananas for a minimum of 4 hour before use.
- Remove the pits from the dates. Simply squeeze the date between your thumbs and forefingers. This will expose the pit and allow you to remove it easily. Make sure the stem end is removed from the date as well.
- Next, add the bananas, cherries, cacao powder, hemp hearts and pitted dates into blender. Add the soymilk last. Blend until smooth and enjoy!
- Pro tip: Use a vegetable peeler to make chocolate curls. This will add a nice garnish your decadent milkshake!