Creamy Vegan Red Sauce Recipe
This creamy red sauce pasta is a great pantry dish. Honestly, we love cooking from scratch, but sometimes the comfort of semi-prepared meal is always nice. For this recipe, we used store bought pasta and red sauce. You can use any of your favorite brands or types of pasta and sauce. Personally, we decided to use organic classic penne, and an organic tomato and basil jar of sauce. We love this creamy red sauce because its as comforting as it is filling. It is also bursting with flavor given the added oregano and basil. Its one of our favorite dishes on the weekly rotation.
How to Make Creamy sauce
First you must soak the cashews in luke-warm water, or boil them for 10 minutes if you want to make the sauce right away. Once the cashews are soaked or boiled, they will be more soft and create a sauce that is:
After boiling/soaking, blend the cashews with the nutritional yeast, water, salt, basil, oregano, and garlic powder. After that, blend until smooth. Mix your favorite tomato red sauce with our cashew herb cream and viola! This creamy red sauce that won’t disappoint. Once the pasta has boiled, strain it through a colander. Return the pasta back into the pot, and add the sauce. In like manner, continue mixing on low heat until the sauce has fully coated onto the pasta. We garnished the pasta with a no salt spice blend we had. Feel free to use any type of spices you normally like. Let us know in the comments below any variations you have tried! We would love to hear what you came up with!
How to Store the Pasta
In short, this pasta is best when it is eaten immediately. This recipe makes about 6 servings of pasta. Seeing as we are only two people we had leftovers, which is great for us! We love to make extra of anything to save time cooking in the future, and because we love eating!
Creamy Vegan Red Sauce Pasta Recipe
- Large pot
- Heat Resistant Spoon or Spatula
- 3 Cups Tomato Pasta Sauce
- 500 Grams Pasta (We used Penne)
- 2 Cups Cashews
- 1/2+1/4 Cup Water
- tt Salt (to taste)
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Tbsp Basil, dried
- 1/4 Tbsp Oregano, dried
- Take the cashews and pour them into a pot. Add just enough water to have the cashews submerged.
- Turn the burner on high and allow the cashews to boil until they're soft. This should take no more than 10 minutes.
- While the cashews are beginning to boil, start to cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Once the cashews are soft, strain the water and place them into a high speed blender.
- Add the water, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder, basil and oregano into the blender.
- Blend on high until smooth and set aside. Add additional water or salt to your liking.
- Once the pasta has finished cooking, strain the water and place the pasta back into the cooking pot.
- Add the can of tomato sauce and the cashew herbed cream.
- Mix the tomato sauce and the chashew herbed cream together in the pasta.