Vegan Tofu Taco Recipe
We really enjoy tofu for breakfast. This vegan tofu taco recipe hit the spot. Filled with tofu, avocado, bell pepper, tomatoes, chives and hemp hearts. A quick, easy, and SUPER healthy way to start the mornings.
Vegan taco recipe tips
The best and most important part of these breakfast tacos is the tofu. Tofu is actually incredibly versatile. Here texture is important to mimic more of a scrambled texture.
The best way to go about getting the tofu into a crumbly texture, is by smashing the tofu with a fork.
First, drain the water from the tofu package. Next, slice the tofu and place the sliced in a medium sized bowl.
Finally, press the back end of a fork into the tofu until it turns into a crumble. Yes, this is the part where the tofu is smashed.
The type of tofu used is up to your preference. We have used soft silken tofu in the past, but for this recipe we used firm. Any type of tofu can work though. Soft silken tofu will break apart easier than the firm tofu. So in relation to eggs:
soft tofu=soft scramble
medium tofu=medium scramble
firm tofu=hard scramble
Tortillas used for the tacos
We generally do our best to eat really colorful foods. It’s a natural instinct we both have. Looking further into the research here is some cool information on blue corn.
Overall, corn tortillas are healthier than flour tortillas, because they have more whole grains. In addition, purple corn phenolic compounds have been shown to have potent antioxidant, anti‐inflammatory, antimutagenic, anticarcinogenic, and anti‐angiogenesis properties.
Corn tortillas are also a wonderful gluten-free option.
Plant based morning tacos
The best way to wake up and refuel the body, is with a nutritious low-stress meal.
After doing further research, we found how the digestion of tofu has a really low impact compared to animal based proteins.
About the Tofu
Soy consumption, like tofu, has shown to be a benefit to our kidneys. These essential filtration organs handle plant based protein differently from animal based proteins.
Within hours of eating meat, our kidneys go into hyperfiltration mode. By comparison, the equivalent amount of plant based protein in effect causes virtually no noticeable stress on the kidneys.
Adding hemp to your tacos
Hemp hearts are a must have pantry item in our house hold. They’re perfect for garnish on virtually anything and everything.
So obviously, we added hemp hearts to these easy breakfast tacos.
In comparison to tuna, hemp hearts have 6.2 times more Omega 3. In addition, they are also high in fiber and rich with trace minerals. Conclusion: hemp hearts are a natural, easy to digest source of fatty acids, amino acids and protein. ( AKA why we put them on everything)
This vegan tofu taco recipe is as delicious as it is nutritious!
Vegan Tofu Taco Recipe
- 1 Block Tofu
- 1 Whole Bell Pepper, diced (we used an orange bell pepper)
- 1/4 tsp Tumeric, powder (plus an extra dash)
- 1/2 tsp Garlic, powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion, powder
- 1/8 tsp Paprika, powder
- tt Salt, pink himalayan (to taste)
- 1 (4pc) Pack Tortillas (we used blue corn tortillas)
- 8 Whole Cherry tomatoes, sliced or diced
- 1 Whole Avocado
- 1 Pinch Hemp Hearts (optional/ garnish)
- 5 Each Chives, chopped (optional/ garnish)
- Begin by sauting the pepper and mushrooms in a large skillet with light oil at medium heat.
- While the veggies are cooking, slice up the the block of tofu and place in a large bowl.
- Using a fork, gently press the back end of the fork into the slices of tofu.
- Continue until the sliced pieces of tofu become a crumble.
- Add the crumbled tofu into the large skillet with the cooking veggies.
- Next add the tumeric powder, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika powder to the skillet and mix.
- Season with salt and if needed add more tumeric to make a deeper yellow color to the tofu.
- Serve on a tortilla with avacado, tomatoes, chives and hemp hearts!